Described as “putting the Malaysian capital on the art map”*, GALLERY WEEKEND KUALA LUMPUR (GWKL 2017) returns 8 – 10th December (Friday – Sunday), following its successful launch in 2016. GWKL 2017 celebrates the quality creative in Greater KL and marks also Malaysia’s 60th year of Independence. www.gw-kl.com
The GWKL marquee, with its cosmopolitan draw, is firmly grounded in a Malaysian ethos, and includes FREE Program Highlights:
- Exhibitions, projects and previews by the leading Galleries and Project Spaces : Shalini Ganendra Fine Art; Nadine Fine Art; G13; Interpr8; MapKLWhiteBox; Segaris; Pipal Fine Art; Artemis Art; Galeri Chandan; Gallery Taksu; Sutra Gallery; HOM Art Trans; Raksasa Studio and Rimbun Dahan.
- Curatorial tours and special access to major Institutions: Islamic Arts Museum; National Visual Arts Gallery; National Textile Museum and Soka Gakkai Foundation.
- LUMINARY Program, public talks: December 8th and 9th, 2017 to include international luminaries speaking at the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia and National Visual Art Gallery –
- Dr. Hugo Weihe, “ Collecting & Creating”. Dr. Weihe is past International Director of Asian Art at Christie’s; previously Specialist with Sotheby’s, New York. CEO of Saffron Art. Collector and Advisor. He will speak at IAMM on Dec. 9 at 3pm.
- Herwig Kempinger, President of Visual Art Society Vienna and internationally exhibiting artist working mainly in photography; previous winner of the Fine Arts Prize of the City of Vienna and the Austrian Art Award.
- Christine Boehler, curator, coach, writer and producer; founding Director of ERSTE Foundation, Austria, promoting Central, East and Southeast European art; founder and curator of the Literatur + Medien project between 1996-2015.
- Sarah Ichioka, recent Director of The Architecture Foundation (UK); portfolio includes management and curatorial work for La Biennale di Venezia and Singapore’s National Parks Board.
- Daily tour of the Zain Azahari Collection, one of the most respected private collections of Malaysian Art, open to the public in exclusive collaboration with GWKL. (The tapestry of narratives and personalities which underpin the collection will be explored and discussed by Mr. Azahari himself.)
- Curatorial tours of Islamic Arts Museum, National Visual Arts Gallery and National Textile Museum.
Also Gourmet partnership feature, to include special menus by Marini’s on 57, Marini’s Grand Café, Marble 8, Chef Adu (Textile Museum Café), Tujoh Cafe and other premiere gourmet.
Grab Car : Promo code: GWKL2017
Stay Partner: STRIPES Hotel by YTL, promo code: GWKL2017