GALLERY WEEKEND KUALA LUMPUR
Described as “putting the Malaysian capital on the art map”*, GALLERY WEEKEND KUALA LUMPUR (GWKL 2017) returns 8 – 10th December (Friday – Sunday), following its successful launch in 2016. GWKL 2017 celebrates the quality creative in Greater KL and marks also Malaysia’s 60th year of Independence. www.gw-kl.com
The GWKL marquee, with its cosmopolitan draw, is firmly grounded in a Malaysian ethos, and includes FREE Program Highlights:
- Exhibitions, projects and previews by the leading Galleries and Project Spaces : Shalini Ganendra Fine Art; Nadine Fine Art; G13; Interpr8; MapKLWhiteBox; Segaris; Pipal Fine Art; Artemis Art; Galeri Chandan; Gallery Taksu; Sutra Gallery; HOM Art Trans; Raksasa Studio and Rimbun Dahan.
- Curatorial tours and special access to major Institutions: Islamic Arts Museum; National Visual Arts Gallery; National Textile Museum and Soka Gakkai Foundation.
- LUMINARY Program, public talks: December 8th and 9th, 2017 to include international luminaries speaking at the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia and National Visual Art Gallery -
- Dr. Hugo Weihe, “ Collecting & Creating”. Dr. Weihe is past International Director of Asian Art at Christie’s; previously Specialist with Sotheby’s, New York. CEO of Saffron Art. Collector and Advisor. He will speak at IAMM on Dec. 9 at 3pm.
- Herwig Kempinger, President of Visual Art Society Vienna and internationally exhibiting artist working mainly in photography; previous winner of the Fine Arts Prize of the City of Vienna and the Austrian Art Award.
- Christine Boehler, curator, coach, writer and producer; founding Director of ERSTE Foundation, Austria, promoting Central, East and Southeast European art; founder and curator of the Literatur + Medien project between 1996-2015.
- Sarah Ichioka, recent Director of The Architecture Foundation (UK); portfolio includes management and curatorial work for La Biennale di Venezia and Singapore's National Parks Board.
- Daily tour of the Zain Azahari Collection, one of the most respected private collections of Malaysian Art, open to the public in exclusive collaboration with GWKL. (The tapestry of narratives and personalities which underpin the collection will be explored and discussed by Mr. Azahari himself.)
- Curatorial tours of Islamic Arts Museum, National Visual Arts Gallery and National Textile Museum.
Also Gourmet partnership feature, to include special menus by Marini’s on 57, Marini’s Grand Café, Marble 8, Chef Adu (Textile Museum Café), Tujoh Cafe and other premiere gourmet.
Grab Car : Promo code: GWKL2017
Stay Partner: STRIPES Hotel by YTL, promo code: GWKL2017
Refer to www.gw-kl.com for program developments. For information on KL’s cultural platform, see CULTURE CONNOISSEUR: www.culture-connoisseur.com.
CENDANA; The Marini's Group; GRAB, Stripes Hotel Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia; The Austrian Embassy, Kuala Lumpur; MyCreative; SGFA & Timeless Green.
Box Office Opens
From 8th December 2017 to 10th November 2017
Gallery Weekend KL
Other Events You May Like
Treasures of a Straits Chinese
Treasures of a Straits Chinese is the long awaited solo art exhibition by Penang artist Tiffany Choong, held at the G Art Gallery in Penang.Exhibition Date : 1 February 2018 - 30 April 2018 Time [...]
The Human Exhibit: Mentalhealth
Like a fine art gallery but with people instead.‘The Human Exhibit: Mentalhealth’ is a new performance art style that I’M Entertainment is exploring.Curated by Ian Nathaniel and Dhinesha[...]
Exhibition Cocktails for ROOTS, Emerging Malaysia
You are warmly invited to Exhibition Cocktails for 'ROOTS, Emerging Malaysia'. Featuring new works by Afiq Faris, Alena Murang and Shaq Kyok.ROOTS, Emerging Malaysia explores the developing and di[...]
Mitsubishi Asian Children’s Enikki Festa 2015-2016 Exhibition
Organised by the Mitsubishi Public Affairs Committee, Asian Pacific Federation of UNESCO Clubs and Associations and National Federation of UNESCO Associations in cooperation with Persatuan Kakiseni in[...]
Untitled Liew Chee Heai Solo Exhibition
Exhibition opening 31 dec 2017 lostgens contemporary art space:photo exhibition moutou artist run space:performance+installation+new year party[...]
Reflections from My Heart: Solo Exhibition of Cheung Pooi Yip
Reflections from My Heart: Solo Exhibition of Cheung Pooi Yip is part of the Gallery Weekend Kuala Lumpur 2017 (GWKL)[...]
GWKL 2017 Luminary Pulse Talk with HERWIG KEMPINGER & CHRISTINE BOEHLER Curatorial Conversations
Clear, simple and expert insights on how leading curators select works for projects and exhibitions; art practise; institutional leadership, collection and development. Suitable for ALL![...]
Alijah Gordon & Children of Her Legacy
Alijah Gordon & Children of Her Legacy [...]
The Goddess of Mercy – Lee Swee Keong Solo
The Goddess of Mercy - Lee Swee Keong Solo The Chinese name of The Goddess of Mercy (Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara) Guan Shi Yin refers to how she observes the world filled phenomenal emptiness. The pe[...]